The White Paper You MUST Read!
Estate planning can be a daunting process, but by checking things off one at a time, you can ensure that important financial and medical decisions are carried out exactly as you wish. For Chula Vista residents undertaking this onerous task, this checklist will give yourself and your family peace of mind knowing that you’ve crafted a thorough estate plan.
Yes. No. N/A.
- Have I met with my LPL financial advisor and any legal professionals necessary to determine my estate planning needs?
- Have I spoken to my family, friends and any beneficiaries about their role in my estate plan?
- Do I own life insurance?
- Is the policy up to date?
- Have I created a last will and testament?
- Does my last will and testament: Clearly identify me as the testator?
- Name an executor?
- Name beneficiaries and specify the property each is to receive?
- Name legal guardians for my dependents?
- Include my signature as well as that of a notary?
- Does my executor have access to all the documents he/she will need to carry out my will?
- Have I created a living will?
- Does my living will:Designate medical durable power of attorney?
- Designate legal durable power of attorney?
- Include advance directives, such as organ donation specifications?
- Include my signature and that of a notary?
- Have I created a letter of instruction?
- Does my letter of instruction:Outline my funeral wishes?
- List my personal information (Social Security number, driver’s license number, important contacts, etc.)?
- Include the location of valuable items such as spare keys or safe-deposit boxes and confidential information, such as security codes or passwords?
- Include a complete list of my financial accounts?
- Include copies and/or locations of valuable documents such as deeds, letter of instruction, birth/marriage/divorce certificates, will, living will, etc.?
- Include a list of any debts (credit card, loan payments, etc.)?
- Have I calculated my net worth and considered whether estate taxes will play a role in my planning?
- If so, have I come up with a strategy to minimize these taxes?
- Have I created a trust or trusts to hold any property I want to pass on?
- Have I considered my philanthropic wishes and established a plan to give money to charity if I so choose?
- Have I set up an account or plan to help my family cover funeral expenses?
- If applicable, have I created a business succession plan?
- Do I have a schedule set up to regularly check in with my financial advisor and legal professionals to re-evaluate my estate plan?
If you need any help with the estate planning process, don’t hesitate to contact JKL Wealth Management. Our asset management experts in Chula Vista can work side-by-side with you to make the process as effective and simple as possible.
If you want to get started on your journey today or would like individualized investment/financial advice from LPL financial advisor, John Lohrenz, please contact JKL Wealth Management at:
Phone: (858) 535-1705
Fax: (858) 535-1701
Alternatively, fill out the Contact Form and we’ll get back to you shortly.
731 S. Hwy 101, Suite 2K, Solana Beach CA 92075
About Chula Vista, California
Chula Vista – ideally positioned at the heart of a richly diverse cultural and economic area – is a city situated in the South Bay area of San Diego County. It is nestled between Sweetwater River and Otay River on the south and north sides, and then San Ysidro and Jamul Mountains and San Diego Bay to the east and west sides. Chula Vista received its nickname of “Lemon capital of the world” because it was the biggest lemon-growing hub globally for a long time in history. The city’s Mediterranean climate makes for perfect weather to play golf at the courses around the city, a sunny day out at the Chula Vista Marine or a day on the water at Chula Vista Yacht Club.